6.05.2012

The Day of Gray

Gray turned 7 in May. I would say I can't  believe he's so old, but that's not true. He's always seemed so much older than his actual age. I sometimes can't believe that he's not older than he is. It was a fun day. The most exciting present that he got was this coupon that he's reading right now which says that he's getting his own room. I love how his face looks confused, but Halle's excited because she's already read ahead.

Halle and Nash are both gaugeing his reaction. Halle is waiting for him to catch on and Nash is waiting for someone to clue him in.

If anyone's looking for a present for a young boy, these Hexbugs are pretty awesome. They're little robot bugs. He got 3 of the mini bugs and this track and zipline. They spent so long watching them run.
Finally time for the Mario party. This may have been the most anticipated event in our house, ever. The kids would not stop talking about it. I'm afraid it might have been a bit of a let down after all the hype, but they still had a great time. I don't know what they build these parties up to be in their heads, but I don't think they ever live up to expectations.

I realized (again) how much I hate parties. I would be happy if none of my kids ever wanted another one. They are so much work and so stressful. A party planner would be my absolute most hated job, I think. Okay, maybe not worst. I can think of worse. Sewage treatment plant worker, submarine driver, mortician (sorry, Kelly). Those are worse. But, still. 

For a lot of the kids, this is the only thing they ate. I bet at least one kid threw up after this party.

Gray, bless him, wanted doughnuts instead of a cake. I was so happy about that decision. These are his three favorite flavors of Tim Horton's doughnuts. Boston Cream, Honey Crueller, and Strawberry Filled.

The kids loaded their own loot bags. We had these items plus a whole bucket of chocolate coins.

Gray planned this entire menu, including the little labels. These are some of his very favorite foods. Pulled pork sandwiches, homemade baked beans, and queso. Most of the kids wouldn't touch any of it besides the white rolls, chips, and candy. I felt bad for Gray. He was pretty frustrated that they wouldn't eat. I knew that was going to happen. Kids here are the pickiest eaters on the planet. I wasn't too worried, though, if they went home hungry. I wanted Gray to have what he wanted to eat.

Here's Anthony showing off Princess Peach's Punch (strawberry lemonade).

Tyler made himself a candy sandwich. This kid had to have been so sick after this. He didn't stop eating candy the whole time.


And here's another kids who didn't stop eating candy (and dougnuts) the entire party. Every time I turned around, he was eating something else.

Just a little plate of gumballs. Why not?


This balloon drop was a lot of fun. Jason decorated the gym. He did a great job. He was at the church from noon until nine that day. I felt so bad for him. It turned out to be a fun party. Gray was happy, and I'm happy because I have Nash's party pretty much planned. He wants a repeat of Gray's. And even though it's not til November, he talks about it almost every day.


5 comments:

Valynn Baum said...

I'm sooo happy that you posted this! You really are the most amazing Mom, Kate. I'm sure that Gray was in heaven, and it looks like all of the other kids were as well. Those were all such cute, original ideas! I'm sure glad that you're coming to visit soon, cause I miss you so much!

Molly and Jason said...

I am with you on the party thing and I've only done one!! After Carter's 3rd birthday I decided it'd be cheaper and easier to let him pick 1 or 2 friends and take them to do something fun- it's worked out so far but I think I'll be ready for another party nxt year:) Looks like you did an awesome job and the kids had a blast!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see the pictures of Gray's big day and his party. now I know what we will be in for when we help decorate for Nash's birthday in November when we are there. The thing you said about hime being seven but seeming much older than seven is so true. When I go to say how old he is seven seems so young. He has always been that way. Remember taking him to Disneyland when he was 2, yes 2. I thought he seemed old then. Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!!!

Ellery Pugmire said...

hahahahahahaha. I love that Nash talks about his party every day even though it's not til November. I love Jude eating candy and his plate of gumballs. I love that Gray planned the menu and the labels. I love the looks of the balloon drop. I love the first two pictures and your descriptions of them. I love that your children have the most sophisticated palates of any children on earth. I love your beautiful display of every thing. I love when you update your blog. But I am sorry to say, I DO NOT LOVE picky eaters. Sooooooo annoying. Love you too. xoxo- Elle

drewandlacey said...

You are such a trooper! That party looks like a blast. It was so fun to see you guys this summer.