Here is my chronicle of our time in Greenville, South Carolina. I thought it would be easiest to do posts a week at a time, which makes for some really long posts with tons of pictures, so good luck everyone.
Tuesday, June 2

We started with a tearful goodbye from JoJo at the airport (she was the one crying while the kids stared at her with confused faces). Then me crying while trying to convince airport security to let me keep our applesauce, pears and water bottles with ice in them. No ice allowed apparently. Luckily, the people were really nice and completely broke the rules for me. You can get away with a lot with the help of some well-timed tears. The kids were actually really great on both flights, if you don't count the 45 minutes in Houston when we sat in the plane on the runway while Nash thrashed and screamed on my lap because he had pooed right before we boarded and I couldn't change him until we were up in the air. I think we scared every person on that flight before he finally fell asleep about half-way through.
Wednesday

The morning after we got there, checking out the view from our balcony. You can imagine how thrilled Halle was to have a balcony. I often find her out there by herself in princess apparel singing dramatically, usually one of Gabriella's ballads from "High School Musical".

We made a picnic lunch and went downstairs to try out our new playground which is right next to our building. We lasted about 15 minutes before we were all so hot, I thought we'd melt right into the ground. We quickly learned to avoid being outside at noon at all costs, unless we are swimming.
That night, Jason took us to see Greenville downtown. I agree with my mom's later assesment that it is the most beautiful downtown I've ever seen. It's magical. The main street is lined with trees that are strung with white lights. There are great little shops all the way down Main Street, lots of fun restaurants, and a bunch of parks. This night we ate at a little pizza place called Bellacino's, then went to see Falls Park. This picture is on the bridge that runs right through the middle of the park and overlooks the waterfall below.
This waterfall is amazing.
This stage is in the middle of the park, and a local theater company does free plays in the summer which they call "Shakespeare in the Park."
Nash saying 'cheese' on the stage.

This is the view of the hillside from the stage. I wish the picture could show how beautiful it is.

Playing in the Reedy River.
Friday

I went to Enrichment on Thursday and met the nicest lady in the world. She called me on Friday and invited us to come over for dinner and games that night. They have six kids ages 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, and a newborn. We had a great time with them. The kids were in heaven having so many things to do after a week in a one-bedroom apartment. We also saw our very first fireflies that night. I was so excited about it. I wish we had them in Utah. They're so neat. If you look carefully in the picture above, over on the very right you can see one.

Nash and Amber Jo, who they call "Jojo". The kids thought that was so cool. They were very excited to tell their JoJo that they met another one.
Gray, Nash, and Dalton playing air hockey.
Saturday

Getting ready to go to our pool. I can't believe, now, how white they were.

Nash in his gear. I know he looks ridiculous, but he needed both to stay above the water.


Man, I love that face.
My crew lounging by the waterfall. The kids love these little chairs.
Our first visit to Denny's. They have kids eat free every Tuesday and Saturday night. The kids love this place.
My sweet girl.

We went to Midsummer Night's Dream in the park. We got there right at 7 and somehow ended up with a spot on the front row. The kids loved this. Puck was hilarious and Halle and Gray were laughing their heads off at him. Even Nash was completely into it the whole two hours.
It was a great first week!
4 comments:
Katie, Thanks for posting. It seems like forever since I have seen my little guys faces. Talking to them on the phone is great but I need to see their smiles. Grandma Jojo
You guys are the cutest little family. I'm glad you're loving Greenville so much. I miss you!
Thanks, Sar, we miss you guys, too. I can't believe how soon we'll be home. Less than two weeks!
It looks like you're having a great time. I saw your mom on the 4th (happy belated b-day) and she said you were absolutely loving Greenville. Keep us posted on what happens next.
Post a Comment