11.23.2011

Say What?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and I've had some complaints about the lack of posts lately (Jess), so I'm trying to jumpstart my blogging efforts again with an easy post.

Ever since Halle was little, when any of the kids say something that cracks us up, I grab whatever scrap of paper I can find and write it down before I forget their exact wording and the date. I have a little green box on my dresser stuffed full of these little papers now and they are one of my biggest treasures. We all love going through them and reading them and the kids just laugh and laugh. Here are some highlights, in no particular order:

September 2011
I was talking to the kids about how Satan tries to tempt us and trick us into doing wrong things.
Gray: "I wish Satan would just die or get baptized." I'd never thought of trying to convert Satan.

February 2011
Gray: "I never get hurt. Not getting hurt is my thing."

September 2010
Before school, the kids were eating breakfast listening to the Beatles.
Gray: "All you need is love? That's not true. You need a house, money, food, a kitchen. . ."
Halle: "You don't need a kitchen, Gray."
Gray: "Yeah, if no one in the world had a kitchen, everyone would die."

July 2010
In Texas, talking to the Sundbergs on Skype.
Nash: "Boston, wanna play on my playground?"
Boston: "Yes."
Nash: "Go outside, Boston."
Nash started walking to the door, still looking at the computer. He thought they'd both go outside and somehow be together. I almost cried at that one.

May 2011
Gray singing: ". . .I shake my little toosh on the catwalk."
Me: "What are you singing?"
Gray: "I'm too saxy for my shirt."
He still thinks the word is "saxy" and I love it.

October 2011
In Canada, where they make a HUGE deal about allergies.
Nash pointing at the sneezing bug on the cover of the book "Because A Little Bug Went Ka-choo!": This little bumblebee is allergic to every-fing!"

May 2011
In Utah, at Karlee's wedding reception. Nash took a break from chasing Sadie around trying to dance with her to go to the bathroom.
Me: "Nash, are you having fun dancing with Sadie?"
Nash in a completely dejected voice: "Yeah. Pretty sure I'm not a very good dancer."
Me: "Why?"
Nash: "Because her won't hold my hand."

2007?
Halle: "It's good, Gray. It's butterscotch. It tastes like butter and it tastes like scotch."

January 2009
Sunday dinner at my parent's house.
Gray whispers to Emily: "Em, does Donny know Kenny Loggins?"

March 2011
Gray: "If I had black hair, I'd grow it out to here (points to ears) and put beads on it." Sweet.

The Entire Summer of 2011
Nash: "Aaah, serious!"

Almost Every Day Since Summer of 2011
Nash: "Yeah, America!" (This new catch phrase was picked up from one of the 12-year-old boys whom the cousins repeatedly played night games with at my mom's house. Nash randomly yells it out at times where he's happy or excited or really pumped up.)

July 2009
When we were living in South Carolina for the Summer, there was a handicapped woman who sat in a wheelchair in the church foyer and made loud moaning noises. We walked by her every week to go into the chapel.
Gray: "Where are we going?"
Jase: "Church."
Gray: "Aaaah, no. I just need you or mom to carry me, 'cause I'm a little afraid of the handicap."

Fall 2011
Nash: "Jude's the most baby in the world and I love him."

Also, Nash, quoting Tangled: "I miss the sound of your lobster."

Sometime while we were living at Sundberg's. Another breakfast discussion.
Gray: "All people need to have brains and bones."
Halle: "And a heart."
Gray: "And courage."
Halle: "Well, I'm afraid of the dark."
Gray: "I'm not afraid of anything. Not the dark, or pumas, or tigers, or lions, or bears."

March 2011
When my mom came to visit, she asked Nash to do something one night and he suddenly pulled down his pants and mooned her. I told him not to do that.
Nash: "Why?"
Me: "Because it's not modest and it's yucky."
Gray: "And it's ugly."
Nash: "Yes, it is ugly. But it's fun."

When I was pregnant with Nash, Gray wanted to name him Batman.
When I was pregnant with Jude, if he was a boy, Gray wanted to name him Rockstar Geronimo Sundberg.
If he was a girl, Gray thought it should be Sparkles Cutie.

February 2009
When we read the scriptures at night, Jason will sometimes pause and let the kids fill in the blanks to make sure they're listening.
Jason: "Holy. . ."
Kids: "Ghost!"
Jason: "Keep the. . ."
Kids: "Commandments!"
Jason: "and Jesus. . ."
Gray: "was his name-o!"

3 comments:

The Rogers said...

Hands down my favorite post EVER!! I'm totally laughing out loud!!!
You're such a smart mom; I love that you are recording all those fantastic moments. Seriously, they're the best!

Taralee said...

what a cute idea!

Natalie said...

Your kids are so funny- made me miss you! I'm impressed at your recommitment to blogging, you have inspired me:) Your kids look SO old, especially Jude. I about died with I saw that first picture of him. He is adorable! (AND I was beyond impressed with Halle's birthday party- wow, go you!!)