11.05.2011

My Library

Jason built me these incredible shelves this summer. I emptied ten boxes that previously had no home onto these shelves. It's been so great to have my books organized and available. Previously, they were in boxes in the storage room where no one could get to them.

Now, it is one of my greatest pleasures to see my kids reading constantly. They call this closet "The Library" and they go there every single day to get books out, and then I find them by themselves, in pairs, or all together reading and reading. It makes me so happy. It's so sweet to see older siblings reading to younger ones. Halle reads to Gray, Gray reads to Nash, and Nash even "reads" to Jude.


Halle, especially, has become such a reader. She literally reads for at least an hour every day. I got the whole Diary of a Wimpy Kid series a few weeks ago in a book order, and she read all five books in one week. Those books are each over 200 pages long. She spends a lot of time in the chair above. Tonight, she was sitting there reading and Gray and Jason were trying to tell her something. She didn't respond, so Jason asked her if she'd heard them. She said, "I don't hear anything when I read." She even tries to do other things one-handed while reading like setting the table. Sometimes I have to pull the book out of her hand to get her attention, but I love that she loves reading as much as I do. She reminds me so much of me when I was a kid. I hope she doesn't mind being like her mom someday.

3 comments:

Ellery Pugmire said...

I hope my kids love to read. I wish I was a book worm like that. That closet full of books is awesome! I want one!

Anonymous said...

Grandma and I are sitting here reading your posts. Grandma said she loves to read to and read a lot when she was little. Her mom use to say to her " You've always got your nose in a book". She loved the Nancy Drew Mystery books and so did I. Halle is probably old enough to read those. I love the library and that when I come I get to read a lot to the kids.

The Rogers said...

Kate, I heart you! You're such an incredible mom!! I love how much your kiddos love to read-just like you always have. They're awesome!! I was hoping for a picture of Jase in his shelf-building attire! Does he sport a tool belt??? xo