3.03.2011

St. John's

Well, here it is. I'm finally posting. Just a warning, there are so many pictures on here. It's gorgeous here so I drive around snapping pictures of everything. I've never taken so many scenery pictures in my life.

Packing up our Houston house. My dream home that I got to live in for all of 7 months. (Tear).

Moving night. This was the first thing the kids ate for dinner at 8:15 pm. We were a pretty sorry bunch. Don't worry, we did have some Poptarts and bananas on the way to the hotel at about 10:00. I can definitely do without reliving that day.Basking in our first-class glory. Even Judo got his own seat. Thanks Exxon.

The food was surprisingly good.
I'm telling you, I don't know how I can ever go back.

That smile says it all.
The first time we went to the kids' school to meet their teachers, Nash fell on his face walking down the front steps right on the spot that he split open in church a few months ago.

Ches's Famous Fish and Chips. It's worth coming to visit just to eat here. I know stuffing and gravy sounds really weird on fish and french fries, but it's awesome.
I love this city. I am constantly oohing and aahing as I drive around looking at all of the gorgeous old buildings and homes. I love the architecture and all of the bright colors. Simply charming.

Trying on hockey helmets at Canadian Walmart (which, by the way, is a sad imitation of the real thing.) And I'm sorry to report that Jason did not purchase the hat that he was sporting in the background.

It's often kind of dreary. When the sun is actually shining, it seems so bright it almost blinds you.
Even the cemetary looks pretty in the snow.
I was a little confused by this grocery store the first time I went. You and your cart take an escalator upstairs. It was built in an old hockey arena. Of course.
This was the kids first day of school. We were still staying at the "Hometel."
Halle's wearing the regular uniform and Gray's in the gym uniform. He was kind of proud when Halle told him he looks like a hip hop guy.
This is the kid's school- St. Bonaventure's College. The building you can see is the jr. high/high school building. The elementary building is just up the drive.


This is the school's church which is connected to the high school. There is a monthly mass that is optional for any kids who want to attend.

One of my favorite streets.
They play in the snow nearly every day. Gray will stay out for hours.

One of the many snow days that we've had so far.
Our second story window. The wind blows so hard that the snow sticks to the buildings all the way up.
Nash trying to follow Gray's trail because he could barely walk in the snow it was so deep.
This is the snow plow pile right outside our hotel.
Could anything be better?
Just having a little chat.
Driving on the freeway has never been so gorgeous.
Gray's field trip. "Sliding" at Pippy Park. Parents and siblings welcome. It's quite the change from Texas school.
Jude had a turn too.
People drink a lot of hot chocolate here. At the bank, they had it as a courtesy drink while you wait. I love it, but man a person can put on some weight here.
This was the coolest thing we've done yet. We drove out to Cape Spear, which is the Eastern-most point of North America. We are clear out here people. It's so beautiful. I couldn't take enough pictures. I have never seen the ocean with snow around it before. I know some people who will laugh at me for this, but I don't know which kind of ocean I like better.

This was a first to see on our GPS.
Yes, it was as cold as it looks. Colder, actually.
The lighthouse at Cape Spear.

It was so weird to be driving through these trees that almost look like Utah mountains and then see the ocean pop up. I almost can't wrap my head around it.
I love that cute yellow house all by itself.
This is about half a mile from the hotel. It's called Signal Hill. That white dot on the horizon is a boat.
And that's Cape Spear, where we just were, from Signal Hill. You can just make out the lighthouse about a third of the way down the slant.
St. John's Harbor
Another lighthouse.



Views of the city from Signal Hill.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just thought I'd comment on all of them and say I think you're skinny. Love you!

Jules said...

what an adventure! those pictures are awesome, it is so pretty there.