10.29.2011

First Day of School

Oh, first day of school. What an exciting and scary day it is. Halle and Gray were pretty excited to start at their new school this year. We are all so happy about no uniforms and being able to ride the bus. And going to school with the kids who live in this neighborhood is so much fun!


I was disappointed that we woke up to the most disgusting day outside. It was raining and windy and the wind here is crazy. It somehow blows in every direction at the same time. Literally, when I go outside on a windy day, my hair doesn't just blow in one direction like in a normal wind, it immediately engulfs my whole head and face in a giant hair whirlwind. There is no way to angle your head into the wind so your hair blows away from your face. The other day, my hair was blowing straight up into the air. I was just laughing at how funny it must have looked. Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this long explanation about the wind, is our front door was being absolutely pelted with rain, so the traditional front porch picture which I've taken every year on the first day of school since Halle started preschool was out of the question. We had to settle for the living room.

Poor Gray was so nervous, even though he was feeling quite confident in this outfit. He told me while I was doing his hair, "You know that word that Ellery always says I am? Ladykiller. Well, I think I really am that in this outfit." Oh yeah, buddy. He was happier than this when I left. We managed to snag a seat for him across the table from our backdoor neighbor, Liam, so he was actually smiling when he finally let me go.

Nash was pretty thrilled to finally be joining the big kids in the first day of school traditions. He thought he looked "really cool" in his new clothes, too. He often refuses to wear things that I pick out because they "don't look cool." To which I always think, "How do you know? You are three."

He looks happy here, but later told me that he "didn't have any fun at all at school." He claimed they didn't sing any songs or play any games or read any stories or do anything fun." He's a bit of a liar. It took a few weeks, but he finally loves school. Especially Fridays when Shawn is there. On Wednesdays, he's the only boy and that day is "just okay." He said, "When Shawn's there, it's perfect." Last week, Nash gave Shawn a rubber grasshopper and Shawn gave Nash 75 cents. That's true friendship.

Enjoying some celebratory cakes. Don't worry, they didn't actually eat them all themselves. All in all, a pretty good first day.


On another note, my beautiful, amazingly talented sister, Ellery, is redoing my blog for me and I'm so excited. I never liked my old layout, but didn't take the time to change it. Also, I'm terrible at computers, so she has so graciously agreed to help me. So far, it's a work in progress, and I can't wait to see it all finished. Thanks so much, Elle. I know we're all waiting with baited breath. No pressure.

2 comments:

The Rogers said...

Yay!! I love it, Kate, and I can't wait to see more!!

Ellery Pugmire said...

Ha ha ha Kate. I hope I can deliver. How can your kids be that cute? Seriously. Nash needs a new nickname too. Gray is definitely the ladykiller, but Nash looked pretty fine in that picture with his backpack on. Oh man I miss you guys. Make sure you post about Hal's party and I'll make sure to keep enhancing your blog. I love you! xoxo-
Elle